Sunday, October 24, 2010

JK Keller


Also found on tomorrow and today.

Honestly, I am a little baffled about what this guy is doing. I really, really like it though. Another difficult balance in digital photography is that between the sly manipulation and the blatant one. I think most of my Anonym series [posting soon!] and how, in modern digital editing, it's entirely possible to edit an image to a point where it looks untouched - but if the process loses its apparentness, is it really successful?

The simulation becomes the real, we enter the hyperreal. :] Thanks Baudrillard.

Anyway, I feel like I see just the right amount of process here. I know what I'm looking at just enough that I'm intrigued. I could investigate further, but I don't feel like I need to in order to enjoy it. Another great example of this is Michel Gondry's video for Cibo Matto's song Sugar Water. I don't feel like I really need to dissect and fully understand the process to enjoy it. Although I could take it apart and figure it out, I think I enjoy it more without.




Keller's web site is really worth checking out. I feel like I shouldn't say too much about his art because it is fairly mysterious to me. The content and execution are really freakin' appealing though.

No comments:

Post a Comment